Friday, July 18, 2008

A Cidade Maravilhosa!


So I'm here! And it's as breathtaking as I remember it. I must say, my first day back (!) has been pretty good. A few glitches here and there, but overall good. The flight was long and tiresome but we finally rolled into Rio at 7:20am. There isn't much of a time difference (Rio's an hour behind) but I'm still a bit disoriented and out of it. For instance, right now it's only like 8:30 and it feels like way past 11. Maybe I should get some sleep, huh? lol.
The taxi driver who picked us up (he was hired by the program) was really personable. And I even felt brave enough to utter my first words of Portuguese! He was a bit taken aback that I addressed him at all in Portuguese (aside from the customary "oi" and "como vai"), but after that he went on and on talking to me in Portuguese and pointing out main attractions of Rio as we entered the heart of the city. Even though I missed a few words here and there, I must say I pretty proud of myself for taking that leap, and since then I've been a bit more at ease speaking to people here :).
The hostel, Baron Garden, is charming. I never quite understood what people meant when they said that, but I feel like this place is the epitome of it: there are walls tiled with what looks like Arab-style tiles, little nooks to sit in and relax, over 10 rooms, 2 bathrooms, and even a mini wall fountain in the computer room. There's a pool outside and the owner, Lia (she actually lived in NYC for 18 yrs. and just moved back to Rio; she makes documentaries and is taking over management of Baron Garden from her mom), is super nice. She speaks English and Portuguese. She lives here with her 12-yr.-old son and there are other women whom I think live here and clean. They seem to all share a certain respect for each other too, which is refreshing. There's no one being bossed around. If I were Leah I would say screw the hostel idea and I'd make this into a phat house for me and my family. I know she does this out of the goodness of her heart, though, and it shows.
Ambar and I are staying in a room with 4 bunkbeds and a total of 6 other girls. There's a bit of a revolving door system here, though, and although everyone is nice, you get a bit overwhelmed by everyone you meet, who's leaving because they finished the program, who's arriving, etc. We did happen to meet a girl from the UK by the name of Anouska who was really chill. Even though it was her last day, she was still nice enough to show us around Flamengo (the area of Rio we're staying in) and even took us to the beach! Although it's not as glamorous as Ipanema or Copacabana, it's still beautiful and breathtaking. I think we're going to make frequent trips there, especially since it's only a 10 minute walk from our hostel. We dozed for a while and took in some sun, which always picks up your mood no matter what ;). Afterwards, we stopped at a juice bar where she ordered an Acai smoothie (which she said she's become addicted to) and proceeded to lend Ambar and I money because we hadn't had a chance to exchange currency yet. It was sad to see her go when we got back, but at the same time it was a great beginning to our adventures here :).
Most of the other boarders here are from the UK (mostly London) and are staying for 4 weeks or more. That made me feel like my trip was a bit wack at first (one girl from Ireland is staying til September, then traveling throughout South America and even participating in an Amazonian volunteer program in Ecuador!! She said she won't be returning home til right before Christmas!), but later I realized that it doesn't matter how long (or short) of a time I spend in Brasil, because I know it'll be amazing no matter what ;). I also found out that none of them speak a lick of Portuguese, which really shocked me! When I told them I did, they were all really surprised. It was really encouraging though to know that I'd at least be able to communicate with the amazing people I meet here and get through to them. Even though my Portuguese is not perfect by any means, it's nice to know I'm working at it and at least people can understand me! :)
Afterwards, Ambar and I got a bit lost in the heart of town trying to find a specific location to exchange money, which Ambar claimed Lia had given her "directions" to (note: I will be navigating for us from now). I was a bit annoyed but we eventually found it, exchanged dollars for reais, had a snack at Pao de Queijo (yum!) and stopped by the supermarket to get some food to have at the hostel for us to eat (the program provides no meals whatsoever, which I think is ridiculous but am trying to accept out of absolute necessity). So that was the end of our first day. Ambar has proceeded to fall asleep in the overchair across from the computer, so I assume that means she's ready for bed ;). I think I'll take a shower myself. Tomorrow's orientation for our program, so we should meet even more interesting people and learn even more about what we'll be doing :). I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Boa noite!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! This blog was a great idea! I am glad things are going well so far. I can't wait for you to come back so I can hear all the great stories and see the amazing pictures! You really should consider going into writing...your great at it... from your words I can almost feel the essence of Brasil :) Talk to you soon

Muneca said...

Love your blog!!I agree with Jodiene you are an amazing writer. How typical of Ambar to not have the exact directions..hehe.. still love you Ambar!! Take lots of pictures and especially of jesus cristo.. that is my fascination at the moment. Can't wait for your nect adventure story...miss you!