Monday, July 28, 2008

Descanso

Didn't do much today, but it was a nice, easy-going day. I went to work and taught the kids (a lot of them were missing, but Paula, Vanessa, Adilson, Caio, Matheus and a boy I've never seen before, named Marcos were there) colors and different types of clothing. I think they did well, and I tried my best to make it as interactive as possible (in spite of the fact that I've already taught them before, it's still a bit nerveracking getting up and front of them and leading things). For example, I started off the lesson by asking them to name the colors of the rainbow (in Portuguese) for me. Then I wrote down all the colors they named in English and said them aloud. To test they were paying attention, I pulled out Ambar's handy-dandy UNO cards that I've been toting around and asked them to say not only the color of the card, but the number that appeared on it as well (since I taught them 1 through 20 last week). They did really well I was proud of them. Digging around in my bag, I also found 3 Starbursts I had left and I said whoever could name the color of the ones I should to the class got to have it. That went over well, as you can imagine, lol. I only wish I had more than three for them to have.
Clothing started off ok, but they got a bit restless. We got through naming and saying the clothing I wrote down (just basics like pants, shirt, socks, skirt, etc.), but when I told them to pair up and write down the clothing and the colors of the clothing their partners were wearing to present to the class, they didn't really take to that. It started off ok (with everyone writing diligently on their sheets of paper), but then they seemed to get distracted and started to get up and walk around. So in order not to delay the inevitable, I said that we were finished for the day and would continue on Wednesday. I can pretty much tell by now when they can't retain any more information. After class, Paulo told me most of the kids wouldn't be there in the afternoon (since they're on break from school, aparently their schools do activities which must them usually go to), so instead of having me teach 2 kids, he said I could just go home. It was a nice surprise.
So the rest of the afternoon was pretty much mine for the taking. I came home, and immediately hopped on the computer and called my sister on Skype. We talked for like an hour and 15 min., which was nice cuz I never would've been able to do that if everyone else was home. I was considering heading to the beach because it was so nice out, but the thought of getting into my bathing suit, putting suntan lotion on and walking there just seemed overwhelming (plus, the sun starts to cool and head out at around 3ish here since it's their winter). So after that I decided to go exchange some money and try Bob's (think Brasil's version of McDonald's). I ordered what was their equivalent of the Big Mac (which I haven't even had since I was a little girl). It was quite disappointing. Not the meat patties themselves, but their "special sauce" which was cold and basically plopped on top of the burger in big clumps (I ended up wiping most of it off with a napkin and didn't even finish the whole burger). The fries were nice, hot and salty, though, so that's a plus ;).
After that I went back to Lojas Americanas to potentially price some souvenirs. They had a whole array of Havaianas there (included my black ones in the exact size I need, which have been virtually impossible to find; I'm guessing because a 7/8 is a common/popular women's size). I was tempted to buy the ones I wanted, but they were 20 reais ($12 U.S.), which is still cheaper than what you can get them for in the states, but more expensive than a few places I've seen that have had them here. I decided to wait, though, and if I absolutely cannot find them somewhere else before we check out of the hostel on Friday and head to Ipanema, then I'll bite the bullet and buy them.
On the way home I also priced some notebooks for the kids (and I got another churro, but this time with dulce de leche because he didn't have chocolate; it was really good but I think I prefer the chocolate). I was thinking that I do want to give them something, and since I don't want it to be as superficial (or potentially meaningless) as presents (and also because a.) I don't know what they like and b.) that can get pricey), I figured I would by them each a plain, mini notebook and write their first names in caligraphy on the front. I also figured I could include the things I've been teaching them (for example, the numbers from 1 to 20 in English, the colors and clothing we learned today, etc.) since it won't be too much I've taught them before I leave. They can use the rest of the notebook for whatever they like, but I figured it would be nice for them to have something that's just theirs (since I'm sure not many of them get many things they can say that about). I'm excited. It's my own little project/surprise for them before Friday ;). I'm going to buy the notebooks sometime tomorrow and get started.
Anyways, that was the extent of my day. I came home and read for a bit. I bought a Brasilian women's fashion magazine, so it was cool to just sit down with it and see what I could understand ;). Tomorrow I'm going to work with Ambar, so that'll be another adventure. I'm sure she'll put me to work and make me help her with her classes, etc. Should be chill. I'll let you know how it goes! Ate logo!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading your blog makes anyone to want to go to Brazil on the next vacation. Thank you, and thank God, you're a gifted writer. Pictures w/your blog are beautiful & inspiring. Enjoy EVERYTHING, don't miss out (recover the 3hrs. of worry you did, make them up)& take advantage of ALL of your GOD given skills. Can't wait to see the pictures!

SoJoMo said...

Sounds like your having an AWESOME time Baby! Keep making us proud and doing good work while there. We miss you here in Va Beach - please Skype us anytime! And let me know how many more people you meet with my name!! Marcella and Jo send thier love!