Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Profesora!


Today was intense. It started off with me waking up late (I set my alarm for 7 because there's so many females here and all of them like to take their sweet time in the bathroom). I only woke up because Chantelle tapped me on the shoulder and I realized it was 7:30. I was so mad, because I could've sworn I had set my alarm before I went to bed. Chantelle says she thinks she heard it go off and that I turned it off, but I don't remember a thing (I think I was so knocked out because I've been feeling sick and fighting cold-like symptoms since Sunday; yesterday was really bad because I had a runny nose and was sneezing like crazy, but today when I woke up my body just felt leaden and my throat really hurt--all I wanted was to lay back down and go to sleep). All I know is I hate waking up late. It just sets the wrong kind of vibe for me for the day because I like to wake up early and leisurely take my time in the morning before I have to be somewhere. Obviously that was not the case today.
I got ready in a half hour and Chantelle and I headed out at 8:20ish. What was funny was that we caught the bus from the Flamengo beachfront at around 8:50 and as we were passing through Lapa (which is about a 10 min. drive from where we're staying in Calete), Chantelle spotted Charles walking (he actually lives in Lapa) and called out to him from the window. The bus driver actually stopped so that he could catch the bus, which was nice :).
When we got to the community center in Falete and were waiting for Paulo so he could open the gate, I took a deep breath and talked to Charles about my dilemma with taking the bus four times in one day and having the English classes so spread out. I asked if we could possibly push the second class up to an earlier time (the first class wouldn't technically start til about 9:30 anyway--because we have to wait for the kids to come and for Paulo to come down from Falete and open the gate--and last til 11; so I proposed we push the second class up to 12 instead of 2). He basically told me that that wouldn't really be realistic because of how life in the favelas (unstructured) is and that the kids wouldn't show up that early in the afternoon to the center. I felt really bad and didn't want him to think that I didn't want to help, so I just said nevermind and that I could do the 2 classes as scheduled. I wasn't too happy about it because it is taxing on me, but I do want to help as much as possible. While we were waiting Charles also introduced Chantelle and I to Jacson (yes, that's how he spells it; he's 17), who is one of Charles's old students and will be helping Chantelle and I linguistically when we work if there's something we don't understand that the kids say in Portuguese and vice versa.
When Paulo came, the kids pretty much were in tow. I saw many of the faces from yesterday--Kassie, Paul, Matheus, Nathan, and Livia--but a few new ones as well. There were 12 kids in all. Charles led them into the classroom (which is about half the size of an average room and can only fit 4 thin rectangular tables with three chairs each) and explained to them once more what Chantelle and I would be doing. Afterwards, he handed the class over to me (Chantelle and Jacson sat in) and I started my lesson. It was so nerve-racking and I was super nervous, but I just took a deep breath, said a quick prayer in my head and dove right in. I basically had to (which I knew ahead of time) conduct the class and explain everything in Portuguese and then translate whatever I was trying to teach them (by writing on the chalkboard) into English. In the TEFL course I took before coming to Brasil, they say to conduct the entire class in English when teaching English to those who don't speak the language, but that's almost impossible to do with kids especially when they are so young and have such short attention spans. So, I started off by teaching them how to count from 1 to 20 in English (I wrote each number and how to say it in Portuguese, and then wrote the English equivalent underneath). Ambar even lent me her UNO cards, which was a big help. I quizzed them on the numbers we had just said aloud by holding up a number and having them tell it to me in English (her idea, not mine; I give you props, Ambar ;). Afterwards, I taught them (because this goes along with the whole numbers bit) how to say how old they were in English. There was some disruption and lots of movement, but I feel for the most part I got the point across. They kept calling me "profesora," but I told them they can simply call me Amanda. Some of them continued to call me profesora, though ;). I was actually pretty proud of myself by the end of the lesson, because I have never taught before and I feel like I pulled it off with very few hitches ;). It was a good feeling.
I ended the class a little before 11 and the kids had their snack. When they were done, Paulo scooted the kids out and locked the gate and Charles suggested Chantelle, Jacson, he and I walk to Prazeres to eat at Cantina de Gaucho (where we ate lunch on Monday), which I assumed wasn't too far away. Boy, was I wrong. I have never before in my life climbed hills like those. I know they say the roads in San Francisco are steep (I've never been), but those roads ain't got nothing on the cobblestone virtually vertical hills that lead up to this favela. The walk was ridiculously steep and just when you thought you had gotten through the worst of it, you would round a corner and there'd be another steep hill waiting for you at the bend. It was quite ridiculous, and it made you wonder how people do that multiple times a day (like Jacson did today). Plus it was extremely hot today, so I felt a bit faint and like I was about to cough up an organ. We stopped to catch our breaths one time, but it got to the point where Chantelle said she couldn't go on and so she and Charles took a taxi the rest of the way up. Jacson and I walked the rest of the way. I definitely can't do those hills every time I have to work, so I don't exactly know what I'm going to do about lunch.
When we finally got to Cantina de Gaucho, I was exhausted and even felt a bit nauseous (it was about a 30 min. walk to the top). Although I had had somewhat of an appetite when we left the community center, by the time we arrived I had none at all. I just wanted lots and lots of cold water (a bottle of which I pretty much ordered right away). I managed to force myself to eat a bit of steak and rice and beans, but I couldn't stomach most of it so I stopped after a while. After lunch, Charles told Chantelle he wanted her to help Carolyn (another girl from the UK staying in our hostel) in Prazeres in the nursery on Wednesday afternoons, so they headed there. Since I had more time to kill before 2, Jacson took me up the hill a little further to this beautiful community center they have just in front of Prazeres. It's gorgeous and such a contrast to the houses that lie in the favela just behind it. It's literally a big house made of cherry-colored wood with a wrap-around porch. Inside there are 3 floors and Jacson explained to me that different classes (like ballet, capoeira, crafts, etc.) are held there for children in the community. He told me that he himself is taking Kung Fu classes there now. At the time we went, the kids were preparing to put on a performance (which I'm guessing they do annually; especially because they have off at this time every year for two weeks until August 4th) and many of them were dressed in costumes and tuning various instruments outside on the porch. The stone ledge on the outside of the house has a breathtaking view of all of Rio. Since it is one of the highest peaks, you can see the entire city from there.
Unfortunately we couldn't stay for the kids' performance because we had to head back down to the community center in Falete. Unfortunately for me, the walk back down was almost just as brutal as the walk up, if not a little scarier because you felt like you were going to trip on the cobblestones and just go flying down the hills. At one point Jacson skid a bit and I asked him it's even more dangerous when it rained. He said yes, that many people fall when it rains but that unfortunately people still fall even when it doesn't. We finally made it back, though, in one piece and waited for Paulo. The kids met us there, but 3 of them (Kassie, Paula, and Tacione) had already come to the first class I did that morning. Gabriela was the only know face. So, it was a bit hard because I couldn't just do a repetition of what I had done in the morning (which is what I had originally planned to do) but I tried to improvise as much as possible. I taught them the days of the week in English and how to say "Today is ___ ." It seemed to go well for a time, but they were a bit more talkative (with each other; specifically Kassie and Gabriela) and then just started asking me how to say random words in English. So there wasn't much structure. Paula (she's 11) was attentive the whole time, though, and asked a lot of questions. She seemed genuinely interested in what I was saying and repeating the words. I think she's definitely my favorite for now ;).
It was a shorter class because I didn't want to dip in to other lessons I had planned (I was really expecting there to be a different set of kids, which is what Charles had said there would be; since there wasn't, though, I don't really get why I need to teach 2 classes to pretty much the same group in one day). At about 3:30 I ended the class, the girls had their snack, I said goodbye (to them and thanked Jacson for all of his help) and took the bus back to Catete (by myself! :). On the busride home, it felt good to feel like I had accomplished something significant for the day.
For dinner, Ambar and went to our usual spot (Big Nectar) and brought Russell along. Ambar got a "bauru," which is basically a sandwich with ham, melted cheese, a piece of steak and an egg in it (she said it was awesome). Russell and I both got burgers, which I don't feel guilty or like a spoiled American about because Brasil is supposed to be known for it's excellent beef (and it was damn good! ;). It was nice to just chill there for a few hours with good conversation :). I love being in Rio and just taking in the night air here. It's awesome.
Friday will be my next day of work, but tomorrow is a day of rest and sightseeing. Ambar and I are going to the Escadaria Selaron in Lapa (which are the steps featured in the Snoop and Pharell video for "Beautiful"), the Carmen Miranda Museum, and possibly the Palace here in Catete which used to be residence to the president until the middle of last century (it also has a big, beautiful park you can walk around in). So it should be a fun time :). Lots of pictures! Boa noite!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It seems like you're having an amazing time! Great job on your lessons. Miss you =o)

Unknown said...

Wow Amanda... I so proud of you! You seem to be doing a great job and thanks for all the great posts!