Friday, July 25, 2008

Teatro e Descanso

Today I went to Falete with Chantelle to sit in on her acting class and to let Paulo and Jacson (as well as the kids) know that I couldn't teach this afternoon because I practically have no voice (although, it is getting better and you can actually hear me when I speak now as opposed to yesterday ;). I just wanted to go in in person so that they didn't think I was just skipping out on them and delivering the message through someone else (Chantelle). I just feel that consistency is something the kids really need and don't always get because of where they live. So any way that I can maintain things and make them as stable as possible, I'll do.
I sat in on Chantelle's theater class with the kids, though. They played a lot of different kinds of games, and although Chantelle tried her best she wasn't always able to keep their attention and interest. Kassie in particular today was in a bad mood. A lot of the time she came and sat next to me on the bench and tucked her arm under mine. I asked what was wrong, but she didn't really answer. From what I observed, though, she doesn't like to lose and likes to be right. So the fact that a lot of the games don't allow her to do both of those things visibly upset her. She did participate (begrudgingly) though towards the end. All in all, though, I think Chantelle did a good job and kept her cool in spite of not speaking the language and depending on Jacson to explain/interpret everything for her to the kids (there were times though where Jacson didn't understand some of her explanations and I had to step in and explain--in what little voice I have left--what she meant to the kids in Portuguese, which I didn't mind doing at all). She said she wants to put on a mini play or skit with them for the performance they intend to do on August 4th.
We got home around 12 and I've basically been lounging around since then: I sat out on the patio with the dogs (there are 4: I know Hendrix and Lola but I don't know the names of the other 2; Hendrix is HUGE--he's a black great dane. Literally when I'm standing up he comes up to just above my hips on all fours, so if he could stand on two legs he'd be taller than me; I was kind of afraid of him at first because he's so big, but now I just let him smell me briefly when I go out there and we're chill ;) reading for a while but then it got a bit windy and cold (yes, cold cuz it is their winter here; the sky is completely clouded over now and it looks like it's going to rain very soon) so I came inside to the living room and ended up dozing off for a bit, which is just as well because we're all supposed to go out and party in Lapa tonight. Hopefully (*praying really hard*) there will be no run-ins with Pedro or Christian. I'm actually looking forward to going out because it'll be the first time Ambar and I go out since we've gotten to Rio. Hopefully it won't get postponed or canceled because of the weather. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Beijos!
P.S.- I was told my blog was getting a bit boring (Augusto) because of lack of pictures, so I've put some up for your visual enjoyment ;). Although they're not my own pictures (I borrowed Genevieve and Augusto's underwater camera for my trip but they couldn't find the cable so that I could upload my pictures here before I left), they're still really similar to what I would put up anyway. I'll try to keep at it as much as possible. Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

Augusto Junior said...

I said no such thing!! :)

BTW much better :P