Sunday, July 20, 2008

Garota EM Ipanema ;)


Today was awesome. Ambar, Chantelle and I went to Ipanema to the beach and to the Hippie Fair. We took the bus (which I never did the first time I was in Rio). It was quite an experience for me since I hate buses no matter what country I'm in (I almost always try to avoid buses at all costs even in NYC, but lately I've been getting more used to them), but it wasn't too bad. A lot of sharp turns and speeding, but I made it out alive ;).
The beach was breathtaking and picturesque, just as I remembered it ;). It's just a really breathtaking view--any description I attempt to give won't do it any justice, so I'll keep it short and sweet: it's a long stretch of beach with white sand and clear, blue water surrounded by huge cocoa-colored mountains. Ahh, it's amazing. It's one of the scenes that you know could only have been created by God Himself :). We spent like 3 hours in the sun (it was a much hotter day today than yesterday, which was good for tanning ;) and I was considering even going into the water (and testing Gen and Augusto's waterproof camera! ;) but the tide was kind of rough. In fact, we weren't even sitting too close to the water (there was literally a hill of sand and some people between us and the water) but there was one monstrous wave that came up right over the hill. Some people grabbed all of their stuff in time (like us!). Others weren't so lucky and picked up their sopping wet beach towels and other belongings and shifted back, further away from the water. Since Ambar and I are spending our last few days in Rio at a hostel in Ipanema, I'll just go in another time. We took the tide jumping up at us as our cue to leave ;).
Afterwards, we went to eat at a restaurant called Paz e Amor (very filling lunch: rice, black beans, steak, and farofa; not very good at all--I won't be going back there--but Ambar had been wanting to go there and I didn't want to break her heart) and then headed to the Ipanema Hippie Fair (which they hold in Ipanema every Sunday) and walked around. I saw sooo many things I wanted to buy for myself and for people back home, but Ambar and I decided to restrain ourselves and wait til we get down to our last few days to splurge ;). Instead we just each bought a painting for ourselves (they had some AMAZING artwork at the fair; if only I could carry some of the bigger ones home and had more money...). They're so pretty. The colors and the details in both are mesmerizing. The vendor explained to us that each one represents a different dance done in different parts of Brasil. It was a bit pricey ($50 reais = $31 dollars), but I didn't mind supporting him because he was so nice and the paintings were so well made.
Tomorrow I start my project, so there'll be a lot more to report ;). Tchau!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay!! good luck!!

Muneca said...

I wish you lots of luck and no worries you will do amazing!!!